Avaliações do CrashPlan

CrashPlan

Easy, automatic cloud business backup

4.6/5 (135 avaliações)
Kyle M.
Traduzir com Google

CrashPlan does exactly what it needs to do

Avaliado em 09/06/2017
Fonte da avaliação: Capterra

We no longer need to manage our backup infrastructure. CrashPlan takes care of this. Previously, with Windows Backup, we needed to periodically purge our backups because when using a network location, Windows Backup can't do versioning. So we'd end up filling terabytes of storage of the same files over and over again. CrashPlan fixes this problem for us!

Vantagens

CrashPlan is really easy to use. I love using it because I can backup to another computer for FREE! The only part of the app that is pay is if you want to backup the the Code42 cloud. If you don't use the cloud, you get easy & free backups! The versioning is also really nice. We can restore a file from any point along it's life. CrashPlan is used to backup our general file server, our email server, and our SQL database dumps. I can centrally restore any file from any server from my location. We migrated to CrashPlan from Windows Backup. It took a lot of overhead out of our backup procedure. CrashPlan has also saved our files from Virus' on a few occasions. With the outbreak of Ransomware, CrashPlan really helps save our files from being encrypted.

Desvantagens

CrashPlan is written in Java, which means, it's pretty much the only reason I have Java installed. Supposedly, a non-Java client is coming, but who knows when or if that will happen. It is also _really_ difficult to manage on a headless server. You basically have to create a SSH tunnel, then from a separate computer 'fake' out that installation of CrashPlan into thinking it needs to connect through the SSH tunnel. Done properly, your desktop CrashPlan will connect to the CrashPlan backend on the headless server. It would be really nice to be able to manage a headless server without any SSH tunneling, or port forwarding, or any of that.

Ray A.
Traduzir com Google

I relied on Crashplan for document backup while completing my PhD abroad.

Avaliado em 15/12/2017
Fonte da avaliação: Capterra

Outstanding performance over the 3 year period that I used it. Once my data was uploaded (it took nearly a year), I was assured that my PhD research was safe.

I stopped using it because the internet in China was simply too restricted and curtailed to make it useful.

Vantagens

It runs continuously in the background to ensure that the files selected are backed up.
The Crashplan client automatically backs up to ensure that customers are using the very latest client and are not in danger of security leaks.

The Crashplan client is cross-platform and will run on Linux and Mac

Desvantagens

Code42 appears to have removed their plan for standard household users and now only has plans for small and large businesses. Unfortunate for the average household computer user.

When I used Crashplan for backup in Beijing, China, the upload speeds were horrendously slow. I assume this was not the fault of Crashplan, but the result of serious Internet throttling by the internet provider or by state security apparatus in China where all connections to the outside world are severely curtailed. Backing up 200gb of data took nearly half a year. But my experience was likely unusual.

Based on other user reports of Crashplan, the upload and download speeds are quite good.

Joel B.
Traduzir com Google

Excellent backup tool, but dropping Home product will lose customers

Avaliado em 08/05/2018

Vantagens

This was the best and lowest cost backup tool on the market...when the Home product was available. In August of 2017 Code42 shifted away from Home and is focusing on enterprise and small business. The Home product was AMAZING. It backed up quickly, offered unlimited storage, and allowed you to backup multiple computers at the same time. Plus you could back up to other friend/family's computers to avoid having to pay for the service at all. This had everything a home user could want and at an amazing price. NOTHING came close. And I mean NOTHING!

Desvantagens

Unfortunately, Code42 has left the Home market and is focusing on enterprise and small business. For those two segments, this is a great product, but I feel like dropping the Home market is a disservice to their existing Home user base. They should have allowed existing customers to continue forward with their Home product and Home product pricing. I get that they want to change their focus, but moving away will really hurt. That's a bad thing, but it speaks to the excellence of their Home product.

Andrzej M.
Traduzir com Google

Easy to use back-up plan, but upload speeds could be better.

Avaliado em 22/07/2019
Fonte da avaliação: Capterra

I can easily backup all my photographs and Photoshop files on my external drive and have them always backed up in the cloud without much thought.

Vantagens

It's easy to setup and once you do you can forget it. Also, support team is very responsive nad helpful (had few minor problems along the way and they were quickly resolved).

Desvantagens

Compared to some other softwares the upload speeds could be better (I tested same files with the same network and Crashplan was the slowest).

Robert B.
Traduzir com Google

The cheapest backup solution, but be patient to backup or restore

Avaliado em 19/10/2018
Fonte da avaliação: Capterra

Overall, Crashplan is a wonderful software for individuals getting into Cloud storage or looking for an alternative to offsite backup. It provides a fundamental experience with setup for beginners, but lacks the higher end competitors. Additionally, in an emergency event, I would not expect CrashPlan to be first priority for a restore. I would use CrashPlan as a last means of backup/ restore.

Vantagens

The cost for this backup is what most people value. The option to encrypt your backup prior to sending it to Crashplan's server is comparable with other high end backups. The option to backup to multiple other devices also makes CrashPlan one of the very few backups that allow you to multi-backup to different sites, machines, or other users using CrashPlan.

Desvantagens

The time to backup a 1TB drive could take well over a month (My experience). It never tells you when all files are completely backed up, but continuously keeps backing up. The software does not tell you if a backup has failed or cannot pend. Overall, great value for a small business with 5 or less employees, however, if your a larger company, I would look else ware.

6.0/10
Denham M.
Traduzir com Google

Good backups, especially as a secondary cloud save.

Avaliado em 03/10/2019
Fonte da avaliação: Capterra

It's a great offsite backup option, probably wouldn't make it my only backup but it is peace of mind for disaster recovery.

Vantagens

Decent cross platform support, not limited on backup size. It has a number of options to backup your data.
Can't beat the price for the storage. Keeps deleted files indefinitly.

Desvantagens

Runs on java, easier network and removable storage backups. More control on the backups with deletions, selections and exceptions. Verification on file backup could be better. Needs block level deduplication.

Used to be better

Avaliado em 12/06/2019

Vantagens

It's a "set it and forget it" program which is great for backup and archiving. I loved the feature that allowed you to keep previous versions indefinitely.

Desvantagens

They've recently changed their terms and exclude certain file types for backing up. They eliminated their lowest priced plan and only offer their more expensive plans. Since their organizational changes, I've had lots of connection errors and interruptions. Backups need to be one thing - RELIABLE

Liz W.

Crashplan, The Most Affordable Backup Solution

Avaliado em 06/02/2019
Fonte da avaliação: Capterra

Overall, Crashplan has been a wonderful solution to my need for affordable cloud backups. My photography business would not continue to operate if I couldn't safely save all my work. I've had past wedding clients return five years later asking for a copy of their lost wedding photos; Crashplan will continue to enable me to ensure that I will always have an off-site copy of my work at a really affordable price.

Vantagens

As a professional freelance photographer, I have to backup huge amounts of data to keep my business safe. After much research, and one bad experience with a different cloud solution company, I found Crashplan (Code42) to be the most affordable system that still allows unlimited backups. They are priced extremely competitively without compromising quality.

Desvantagens

Crashplan used to have a mobile app that allowed users to access all their backed-up files from their phones. They recently discontinued this app. I can hardly believe the company would take such a step backwards. I used the app on a regular basis to refer to documents or images that I needed to access while I was away from my computer. This convenience was one of my biggest draws to Crashplan initially; I wish they would bring back the app.

Full-Featured Backup Solution With Good AD Integration

Avaliado em 29/10/2018
Fonte da avaliação: Capterra

We have been very satisfied with the backup capabilities of our CrashPlan implementation. We use CrashPlan for backing up the critical files of our employees. The CrashPlan administrative portal is fairly easy to use, and it has many great features. The biggest issue I've had in using their software is getting users to automatically disable when their account has been disabled in Active Directory; I've had the script working in the past, but every time we update, it seems to break the script and takes quite a bit of time to get it running again.

Vantagens

I like that you can get very granular about what you want to back up. You can select entire folders to backup, but you can also specify that certain file types should be ignored. You can even specify that certain files be ignored or included.

Desvantagens

Using their built-in scripting for auto-disabling accounts when the related account is disabled in Active Directory has proven to be a pain. I've had it working before, but every time I upgrade the software, it seems to break that capability without actually changing the script.

Johan D.

CrashPlan for the Enterprise

Avaliado em 26/12/2015
Fonte da avaliação: GetApp

Code42 has done a fantastic job creating a solid enterprise product that is easy to use, transparent to the end-users, and backed by a company that takes an active interest in the input of their customers.

Even with the trend of moving data to the cloud, end-point backup remains a critical necessity in the modern end-user computing environment. Systems fail, users delete data, users switch computers and things still go wrong and make backups a necessity. CrashPlan is equally useful for file recovery or simply moving a user to a new computer.

Client backup products are not always without impact to end-point performance. CrashPlan's interface is simple and easy to use. Virtually no training is required for both end-users and administrators. Granted that backup is not an overly complicated process, but CrashPlan has refined the process better than the competition. Whether using the on-prem or off-prem option, CrashPlan provides security and stability for your company's critical data.

My only real criticism with Code42, is that in the last year they have not focused sufficiently on the development of CrashPlan. I feel like they made a poor choice to focus too much on SharePlan, which was not something that was critical to their core business. CrashPlan is also a bit behind the curve on features related to legal hold and e-discovery, but they are trending in the right direction.

The best part of CrashPlan is that is just works. Its a solid, well-written product with great support that give users a sense of security about the data that keeps the business working.

Easy to administer
Minimal impact to end-user performance

Code42 should focus more on the core business and less on additional offerings
Legal-hold e-discovery capabilities are still immature, need more focused development

Graham P.
Traduzir com Google

A simple endpoint backup solution

Avaliado em 03/10/2016
Fonte da avaliação: Capterra

I have been using CrashPlan for over two years for about 30 of my customers. Aside from a few issues with memory usage for larger backup sets (issues that were quickly resolved with by a chat with support), I have had almost no problems. Backups run, complete, and restores always work.

The software's focus is on backing up endpoints, not servers. But it works fine with simple file servers and is a very inexpensive way to protect data. It's really a last resort backup for most of my clients - not something they depend on from day to day, but it's a great solution in case they end up with a hole in the ground for an office.

The setup process only takes a few minutes. Restores are relatively intuitive - just pick a date and then pick a file. Small restores can be done through a web interface. I have never had to do any large scale restores, but I can imagine that they would be difficult since there is no way to have a hard drive shipped to you - the restores have to be done over the internet through their software.

Inexpensive, remarkably reliable.

Desvantagens

Tends to be a bit of a memory hog.

Max K.
Traduzir com Google

Solid file level cloud backup software

Avaliado em 11/09/2018
Fonte da avaliação: Capterra

On the scale from 1 to 10 (10 being best), 8.

Fairly reliable.
Fairly easy to configure and use.
Extensive feature set.
Custom configuration of retention, including unlimited retention.
Custom file versioning setting.
They will not delete your backed up files if the drive you were backing up is unplugged (some other software will do that - VERY VERY BAD).
Fairly inexpensive, for small or large computers and servers.
Data is encrypted with your own private key.
Restore is available through the agent or cloud control panel.

Desvantagens

Limited to file level backup, no image backup.
Single cloud storage without Geo redundancy (can't have everything for the low price they are offering).
Customer service is email only and almost not available over the phone (software is fairly reliable and cost is low)

Chris J.
Traduzir com Google

Big fan of the set it and forget it method of backup with CrashPlan

Avaliado em 10/05/2018
Fonte da avaliação: Capterra

The versioning of your files is awesome, and the upload of changed/new files is really quick and can be set to backup at certain times with specified processor usage.

Vantagens

I love how my business version of CrashPlan continuously monitors my computers for any changes then uploads those changes to the cloud. Even though I run image backups of all our computers on the network, I will backup all important files to these computers which are then encrypted, uploaded, & versioned so that I can always go back in time for previous saves of my files. The support staff is great as well. Price is great for our plan which I believe includes 3 computers (originally just 1).

Desvantagens

The interface is a little unintuitive especially when it comes to restoring previous versions of your files, but once you do it a few times it's no big deal.

Christopher D.

Great Software for Business, Slow Support, Frustraing Configurations for NAS

Avaliado em 01/04/2019
Fonte da avaliação: Capterra

I used this service for several years with multiple PC's before the swapped to the per-device cost. It was an easy set-it-and-forget-it setup and making sure that all files were backed up. Upload speeds could be hit and miss depending on the server or time of day.

Vantagens

Once configured, the software is easy to maintain, do backups, and encrypt data.
GUI interface is simple to use and makes restores much less painful
Support can be helpful via e-mail, phone not so much.

Desvantagens

Cost of the software seems to creep up every year, and recently have switched to a per-device cost which makes indivudal backups more expensive.
Headless support is almost non-existant and a pain to set up
QNAP NAS requires a community written docker container to be able to manage as a cloud backup
Phone support is painfully slow to answer questions and immediately requests RDP.

Traduzir com Google

Great once user's commit to configuring their backup

Avaliado em 03/10/2019
Fonte da avaliação: Capterra

It's a great, set-it and forget-it tool, but Code42 still needs to work on improving end-user experience and encourage end-users to keep their backup list up-to-date so Admins don't feel obligated to nag their co-workers about it when things go wrong

- Fairly easy to deploy
- Secure
- Noisy when it needs to be
- Enables the admin to be hands-off but they can check in on a backup anytime using the admin portal

Desvantagens

- The end-user experience to set up the tool is pour. As an admin who helped implement this tool I had to walk though the initial setup process with a large number of end-users because they were overwhelmed by the setup process
- After 1.5 years of this tool being implemented, most end-users still don't keep their list of items CrashPlan backs up up-to-date. Their backup list is only updated when they start experiencing hardware issues
- Using Migration Assistant to restore data to a new Mac will corrupt the CrashPlan app and it must be reinstalled which causes confusion for the end-users

Adam P.

BEST backup software hands down !!! I love it

Avaliado em 10/07/2018
Fonte da avaliação: Capterra

It kept all my data, photos and docs safe for years !!

Vantagens

This is the best backup software for a home user ever. The best part is that you can backup an external USB Drive. I run it on my mac and have been using it for 5+ years. The software runs in the background and backs up my files so I don't have to worry. They have plenty of settings to limit when it backups and how many resources to use. Since I have a capped bandwidth I set it so I just upload in the evening. I've recovered a couple of files by logging into the web interface and downloading a zip of them.

Desvantagens

I'm very sad that they will no longer offer consumer accounts at the end of August 2018 if I'm a small business I would use crashplan. I'm super bummed that the software I recommended to so many is going away :(

Traduzir com Google

Code42 CrashPlan; keep your data safe.

Avaliado em 25/02/2016
Fonte da avaliação: GetApp

In higher education, students are reliant upon the ability for the faculty and staff to produce and support a quality product, which is their education. In order for this to happen on a consistent basis, the staff and faculty must be able to do their jobs. Data must be available all the time. But in the real world, the ongoing battle rages between those on the outside who have a desire to disrupt work with the motivation of making a profit at other's expense. There is also the battle of hardware failures, and user errors to name a few. There is so many ways to lose data, it's amazing we are able to accomplish anything at all. Enter Code42 CrashPlan. We started using this product several years ago. We started using this product several years ago. We were on a tape backup system that honesty was a poor excuse for data backup. From request to recovery was at least an 18-hour turnaround time. And recovery was a crap shoot at best. With Code42 CrashPlan, turn around is only limited by the amount of data being recovered. The more data to recover, the longer it takes to download. And 95% of the time, recovery is completed in 30 minutes or less. There have been times we were hit by ransomware viruses, but because of CrashPlan, the encrypted data was replaced in a matter of a few short hours. So we are extremely pleased with CrashPlan. We have it deployed to over 1000 machines including some servers. Training users was not a problem. The software uses very little resources which is always a plus.

Vantagens

Reliable backups, not dependent on platform. Peace of mind. Easy data recovery 24/7. It in your hands and in your control.

Desvantagens

Not cheap, but well worth the expense.

Tab D.
Traduzir com Google

Very flexible backup service that allows you to backup external hard drives w/ strong encryption

Avaliado em 22/06/2018
Fonte da avaliação: Capterra

Peace of mind knowing our files are safe.

Vantagens

Strong encryption helps keep our files safe. Unlike many backup services, Crashplan for Small Business allows you to backup files on any number of external hard drives for no additional fees. Also, you aren't required to move the files/folders you want to backup into a proprietary backup folder...this means you do not have to alter the structure of your file system to have an effective and full backup.

Power Tip: divide your backup into multiple backup sets for increased efficiency and peace of mind.

Desvantagens

I wish you could more easily view the backup log so you could reassure yourself that your most important files are 100% backed up to the latest version. UX is usable but a bit awkward...it can take several somewhat convoluted click-throughs to find the setting you need to alter.

Nicholas A.

Best Backup Service for Small Business

Avaliado em 22/06/2018

Vantagens

Small app that does a good job of backing up important files. It auto restarts and rarely fails. If the app does fail the system notifies you via email. It keeps multiple revisions of the files so you can not only restore them quickly but go back to a later date if you need to. The app allows you to set up a local backup as well as your cloud backup for quick restores. Definitely, a must if you are required to store legal documents for up to 8 years like our company.

Desvantagens

The app can sometimes get stuck on huge files but most of the time it resolves the issue without assistance. Can sometimes take up a lot of RAM depending on how many files you need backed up.

A Phenomenal Live-Saver with Little Downside

Avaliado em 08/02/2019

Vantagens

Managing hundreds of computers (and the data within each) can be an enormous task, but CrashPlan organizes and manages this need impeccably. Users tend to dislike this kind of program, because they often involve interruptions of slowdowns during their work (while it backs up their files), but CrashPlan does this seamlessly behind the scenes as a non-intrusive background process. Now, any of our user's computer could crash hard, and we'd be able to recover it in very little time and with very little effort.

Desvantagens

There's little to dislike. I wouldn't mind if it cost less, but the price is reasonable if you're protecting data of even modest value.

Benjamin J.
Traduzir com Google

Has so much potential but is being held back

Avaliado em 12/07/2018
Fonte da avaliação: Capterra

Unlimited backup storage of my computer system with revision history

Vantagens

The fact that the cost vs amount of storage you receive is incredible with Crash Plan. I have looked through so many providers for online backups and I don't believe anyone comes close to what is offered by this software.

The fact that once you you install the program and sign in, the interface is very straight forward allowing you to select what on your computer you want to back up, all the way down to the entire contents of your C: drive is great and makes the product easy to use.

Notifications are also a great feature to notify you if there was a problem during a backup.

Desvantagens

My major issues come down to resource usage and customer support. This software, even though it does fantastic things, is an absolute resource hog.

In the past I have been able to run constant backups incrementally at 15 minute intervals without much slow down of my systems. Within the past year however, on a 16GB memory system, as soon as crash plan begins to backup my memory usage jumps from about 15% to over 50% until I stop the program completely. On windows server 2012, the same issue happens, whether Crash Plan is installed for every user, or just my admin account, the instantaneous system slow down is there to where everyone on the system is effected.

My two attempts at contacting support about the issue resulted in almost a 1 week wait time between calls/emails and the answer I ended up receiving was that they would no longer be supporting servers with the Crash Plan application. However present day their website still says it supports windows servers.

The idea behind the program is amazing, I just wish the execution and support was more clear and helpful.

Kathryn D.
Traduzir com Google

Buyer Beware of Recent Changes to the Services for Small Business !

Avaliado em 23/05/2019
Fonte da avaliação: Capterra

I have spent days on the phone with their technical support management to no avail. They do not offer a solution, and have no plans to correct or back out this potentially devastating change.

Vantagens

Until recently, Crashplan for Small Business was very reliable.

Desvantagens

I have used Crashplan for Small Business for many years. They have recently implemented a change, as of May 1,2019, which had devastating effects for my businesses. They have chosen to remove from the backup all files in the /user/xxx/library/containers/ directory as well as all root directory application and system folders.

My company’s financial data was stored by our 3rd party Unix app in that directory and Code42 just randomly excluded it from backup, even though it was in the USER directory, and deleted ALL PREVIOUS BACKUPS without permission. Apparently they sent this information out in a “newsletter” to their business clients in Mid April, and implemented the change on May 1.

We had a file corruption of our database on May 18, and we were unable to recover from our online backup with Crashplan. The company made this change to a live system, had no backout plan and no recovery path for the data they deleted without our knowledge or permission. We lost 10 years of data. Absolutely devastating. The customer trust has been breached, but their attorneys claim that we didn’t have a “contract”. This is unbelievable on so many level, and my guess is that most business clients do not realize that this is happening or that their data is missing until they go to recovery and find it gone.

0.0/10
Wayne F.
Traduzir com Google

It's alright (as long as you're behind a normal firewall)

Avaliado em 12/03/2018
Fonte da avaliação: Capterra

Easy of use and cost effective.

Vantagens

This software is easy to use and configure. I have recommended this software to others who are not tech savvy and they loved it. It's easy enough for them to "set and forget" and files recovery is as easy as selecting the folder/file you want to recover then process it.

Cross platform is a definite positive and we needed a solution that worked with MAC and Windows.

Desvantagens

I have used this software for a few years installed on a MAC and a Windows machine. It was good until I upgraded to Sonicwall Gateway. With the latest firmware it seems as that CP on the MAC had a hard time bypassing the firewall security so I had to explicitly open all the required ports then it started running normally again. Months went by without any issues then problem with the MAC machine reappeared where it cannot connect to the CP server (meanwhile no configuration change was made to the firewall).

I have worked with both technical support from CP and Sonicwall, both have different ideas of what may be the problem. It's just odd that the MAC CP is having problems communicating out of the firewall while the Windows machine is fine. Further finetuning of the firewall will be required.

In conclusion, CP is a good reliable and cost effective backup solution providing that you are behind generic firewall. However, you may run into frustrating issues if you are behind advance security gateways like Sonicwall, Fortinet, etc. and it's not as low maintenance as one would expect it to be.

Darian R.

Simply the Best

Avaliado em 14/04/2016
Fonte da avaliação: GetApp

I am shocked by the number of people that do not have any backup whatsoever, and even more shocked when their only backup is a manual "copy from here paste to there every 6 months".

Whether you are backing up your family photos, music, documents, receipts or business information, project files and work, you will find Crash Plan to be the best option both in terms of usability and cost.

I've personally restored files from crash plan off of backups of computers that I no longer have because they failed, up to 2 years earlier. I back up my whole house. Offsite and every day. It's automated and you only pay around $6 a month so there is no excuse not to do it.

Vantagens

Peace of mind! I have over 1GB of photos as I am an avid amateur photographer of my kids and other things. I also take lots of video. It's all backed up.

All of my tax returns, anything is there backed up. I've had computers die, built a new one and then adopted an existing backup so it doesn't have to redo 500-800GB of data all over.

Desvantagens

It can take some time to initially seed your backup if you have close to 1TB or more. And the connection depends largely upon your internet connection quality.

The cons are not a show stopper for me. I might miss one or two files being backed up from time to time until the next day.

Heather W.

Good Program

Usado Diariamente durante 6 a 12 meses
Avaliado em 28/09/2019
Fonte da avaliação: Capterra

Overall, the potential for the program, and the idea seems great. But unless you have a huge bandwidth or pay for extra it's difficult to use for a some business owner like myself.

I flet secure in that my life were kept safe, in an online, web based program, however I could never use it to it's full potential because it took literally days for my to back up just one of my external hard drives full of full resolution .CR2 files.

Vantagens

This program really does as it says, backups all that you have on your computer incase of lost data, or major computer crash loss. Because it's web based, it's all available and at the tip of your fingers if ever you need retrieve lost data.

Desvantagens

My biggest issue with that program was that it took up so much bandwidth that there was very little left for other things in my home, such as watching youtube, or Hulu, or Netflix.

It ate up a lot of my allotted bandwidth for the month, and I had a lot of difficulty using it because of that.