Canopy

Practice management software for accounting firms

Relação qualidade/preço
Recursos
Praticidade
Suporte ao cliente

dos usuários recomendam este app
Classificar por

164 avaliações

Danny

• Probabilidade de recomendação 9.0 /10

Canopy takes the headaches out of client management by offering a way to keep client info...

Avaliado em 27/04/2018

Improved practice management and time management. As well as a simple way for clients to securely share their files with me.

Vantagens

That all client info, files, communication, notes, and tasks are in one application. It has helped eliminate the need to jump around from application to application to find the info I need to manage all my clients accounts.

Desvantagens

The task feature can use some updates in simplification and added features. I still prefer Jetpack Workflow to help manage my tasks until Canopy improves this feature. I also get frustrated that there isn't a way to simply email a file stored in Canopy to a client that maybe isn't using the portal feature, rather than downloading and adding to an email as an atachment,

Austin

• Probabilidade de recomendação 6.0 /10

Great product, with a price tag to match

Avaliado em 10/08/2022

Document collection and management was great. They also have a great product roadmap and I got the impression the product is only going to get better as time goes on. It took a while, but we finally got a "collapse/expand all" feature for the documents. Very impressed with the customer service. Also, the UI is very clean and overall pleasant to use. The only feature I didn't pay for was the workflows, because I was already disappointed with the way that "tasks" were tracked, and didn't feel optimistic more money would make me more satisfied.

Vantagens

From a customer experience perspective, this is one of the best in class products. You can customize the portal login page, and I had great success training clients well into their 70s to use the client portals. Each file can be hidden or shared with the client, and for simple documents, Canopy offers a decent in-app pdf editor that doesn't share your annotations with the client.

Haven't found anything aside from Engagement I liked better for document management, and Canopy is much cheaper on that front, and includes a client portal.

Desvantagens

Honestly, the only dislike is price. That, and I found some of the automations (like engagement letters for example) were clunkier to use than those of competitors (say, TaxDome).

TaxDome

Razões para mudar para o Canopy

Canopy had a very modern interface and came in at a fraction of the price of the software I had used at a national accounting firm. I think Canopy is probably best suited for boutique firms with some existing infrastructure, rather than a one stop shop for a sole practitioner like myself.
Dustin
  • Setor: Bens de consumo
  • Porte da empresa: 501-1 000 funcionários
  • Usado Semanal durante 1 a 5 meses

• Probabilidade de recomendação 0.0 /10

Customer Service is Terribly - This Company is too new to meet deadlines

Avaliado em 02/01/2020

Purchased a license in order to use their Tax Prep software (NOT the tax management software - ability to track clients and manage the funnel of taxes). Was told everything would be ready in time, and I ensured they knew I was only buying now because the Tax Prep software was going to finally be ready. (They told me 4 different dates for when this would be ready as I've been working with their sales for 2 years, waiting for them to get things together). Jumped in and decided to make them our company for our tax prep business, and everything went wrong. Salesperson we worked with had quit, implementation team was slow, and then I got off the phone with a support person who casually mentioned that the tax software was tossed out for this year. We had no clue, completely SOL as we have 4 weeks until tax season started and had to rush to find another company. All done without an apology, just "oh that's funny, I thought everyone knew that we couldn't get the software ready", even though we were assured that it would be - for a quick sale I imagine. Lots of back and forth with different support team members. We had been paying for two months and getting everything switched to their platform - which took an enormous amount of time and effort from our people, just to be told they won't have it ready for us and we will not receive a refund. I told the support manager before about this review being posted and was told I "might get a call back" for help.

Vantagens

The software is cloud based and therefore easy to access.

Desvantagens

The company consistantly made promises that they were unable to uphold. Pushbacks on product releases that we desperately needed, and no refund for their mistakes. Not the company you want to go with when you need something dependable. They're a tax company which makes it even more absurd that they mess around with deadlines.

ProConnect Tax

Razões para escolher o Canopy

We counted on Canopy and they totally blew it.

Drake Tax

Razões para mudar para o Canopy

We thought they would be able to deliver everything to us at a decent price.
Scott
  • Usado Diariamente durante Avaliação gratuita

Thomson Reuters File cab vs Tax Canopy

Avaliado em 27/06/2022

Within two weeks of starting my 30 day free trial, I had it set up (so I could evaluate the details and functionality) and decided to switch from Thomson Reuters File Cab. Another local CPA had also finished his vetting process so Tax Canopy already came highly recommended.

Vantagens

Free support - chat in or ph call. Templates for global folder creation. Once this is figured out, you can populate new client files with all the needed folders in less than 30 seconds. Using "Tags" to identify clients to send email blasts inside Canopy - brilliant! Unlimited file storage. Thomson Reuters charges me which is odd in this day and age with super affordable data storage. Annotations to files (i.e. PDFs) without paying for an ADobe license. Client portals. I've used other portal software, including the Thompson Reuters VO portal, but Canopy has this down to simple science. The Desktop Assistant allows you to edit live Word and Excel files.

Desvantagens

File migration from File Cab. I wrote a how-to process sheet for my firm so this is doable just time-consuming. Don't let that deter you as it is part of the pain to switch from one software to another. We also are ditching Thomson Reuters Practice CS (i.e. their time and billing software) for the one inside Canopy. The invoicing and reporting are much weaker in Canopy compared to Practice CS so this is a problem but wasn't a deal-breaker. Canopy has assured me that better reports are forthcoming and I trust Canopy.

Nicole
  • Usado Diariamente durante 1 a 5 meses

Review of Canopy - 1 month in

Avaliado em 29/11/2021

I like Canopy and I'll continue to use it. I'm glad I'm working on the conversion in November rather than Feb/March. I expect to have everything perfect by the chaos of tax season.

Vantagens

I love the portal and the client/entity set up. I love that everything related to my workflow is in Canopy (except the tax return). It's very nice to have everything in one system.

Desvantagens

The syncing with QBO hasn't been as easy as I'd like, but that may be an Intuit issue as well. There are issues when duplicate clients are created and you merge them. If the client was already linked in Canopy, that link is broken and I don't know how to recreate it. I hear that a function to sync specific clients in Canopy is coming soon and that should resolve my issue.

I haven't been able to pull a transcript yet. I keep getting "Pull Failed". I'm not sure if this in an IRS issue or Canopy. Hopefully this can be resolved soon.

TaxDome e Karbon

Razões para escolher o Canopy

I wanted a system that did everything. Canopy has the CRM, task management and the document management together. The tax transcripts functionality was a big deciding factor as well.

SmartVault e Insightly

Razões para mudar para o Canopy

TaxDome didn't have the tax transcripts. Karbon looked very complicated.
Al

Practice Management

Avaliado em 29/11/2021

Overall, Canopy is a good tool for client relationship management. Using the task list is a great tool to make sure deadlines do not get overlooked.

Vantagens

Canopy makes it easy to securly share tax sensitive documents with clients.

Desvantagens

Getting transcripts from the IRS using Canopy can be a challenge.

Citrix ShareFile

Razões para mudar para o Canopy

I use Tax Help Software. Canopy made it much easier to impliment the file sharing system than the other choices.
Tyler
  • Setor: Atacadistas
  • Porte da empresa: 10 000+ funcionários

Change for the Better!

Avaliado em 11/06/2022

My experience with Canopy is amazing I will never leave and i will invite all my friends and family

Vantagens

The thing that i liked the most about the software was that it was easy to use and it was also inexpensive.

Desvantagens

I wish I could use more charts in the software but besides that it is amazing

Latoya
  • Usado Diariamente durante 1 a 5 meses

Price

Avaliado em 19/08/2022

I would have kept using the software if it was within my price range

Vantagens

Canopy overall is an excellent software, and easy to use.

Desvantagens

It is very expensive, and not affordable for the smaller firms

Jetpack Workflow

Razões para mudar para o Canopy

Canopy was overall better.
Avaliador Verificado
  • Usado Semanal durante Mais de dois anos

Canopy Expirience

Avaliado em 09/09/2022

Vantagens

The ability to transfer documents across clients and limit access to team members by folder.

Desvantagens

Setting up tasks was more complicated than it needed to be. Setting up recurring tasks was challenging and I was unable to get it to work.

Avaliador Verificado
  • Setor: Alimentação e bebidas
  • Porte da empresa: 51-200 funcionários
  • Usado Semanal durante 1 a 5 meses

Great software

Avaliado em 24/08/2022

Vantagens

Ease of use and lined up acgording to size

Desvantagens

File categories are a bit unconventional

Juventino

• Probabilidade de recomendação 5.0 /10

Good software with strong features and lots of promise at a pricey point.

Avaliado em 23/11/2021

My overall experience with Canopy has been a good one thus far. Even though I bitch about the cost l, I continue to stay because of the ease of use, simplicity for my clients, and automation I’ve created within my tech stack.

Vantagens

The best feature is the client portal and mobile app. It has been a business transformation blessing from way before COVID was ever a thing. I remember way back in 2017 when the mobile app was nearly launching how it revolutionized the way my clients do business with me. This is what has kept me on Canopy in spite of the price hikes.

Desvantagens

Canopy recently has changed their pricing model and I don’t like it because it increases the barriers to tax professional adoption. There are other titles out there who bring good feature sets and a much lower price point and has given me reason to start shopping elsewhere. What keeps me at Canopy is not wanting to invest the time in moving my clients files over to a new system, notifying my clients that I virtually moved virtual offices, and avoiding the headaches of all the client questions that would ensue.

TaxDome

Razões para escolher o Canopy

I wanted a good tax management experience and the one provided by Canopy was superior to other competitors at that time around 2016-2017.

TaxAct Business

Razões para mudar para o Canopy

I wanted a more integrated experience and an online only software. Taxaroo left me desiring a better client portal experience and way back in 2016-2017 their offering was not as strong as CanopyTax.
Alison

• Probabilidade de recomendação 4.0 /10

Where to start

Avaliado em 24/11/2021

There are other options out there and I could easily stick w sharefile. However I wanted to up my game and show my clients a better higher tech experience. As you know, solopreneurs have a hard time competing w the small to middle size firms. Seems like you need to up your game or at least let me know about your game!

Vantagens

Clients like the portal. It has helped improve the perception that my firm cares about their info. It also feels very organized. It is easy to set up a portal.

Desvantagens

Yegads, what to me seems like obvious items, the organizer doesn’t roll over from prior year to current year. Your current solution is for me to set up customer accounts for each member of a family unit. This seems dumb and a waste of accounts, my and my team’s time, my money and the client perception and experience. If i as a customer was asked by my firm to re enter all prior year into, I would be beyond annoyed. I would wonder what kind of high tech experience Alison isn’t offering me. As a customer, I would also be less inclined to complete it because It is a waste of my time. Your customer service and training library aren’t helpful. Since it is very self serve, I have no idea what to look for in terms of better ways to use canopy because I don’t know what I don’t know. You let us all know at the innovation summit about the 100 new features you have rolled out. My admin and I were dumbfounded to learn this. How did we not know About the cool ways you are trying to make my life better? Do you offer monthly training or “ask me anything” webinars that don’t require me to pay extra or upgrade to a higher level. If you do, why don’t I know about them? If you don’t, why don’t you? It seems like you would help me have a better experience with the software and keep me as a recurring customer. Also, it is hard as nails to get requests followed up on. Customer service isn’t great.

TaxDome e Jetpack Workflow

Razões para mudar para o Canopy

The product seemed like a great entry way to start. It seemed easy to use. And it looked cool for my clients. I have appreciated how the portal seems organized. Some of my clients have told me it is hard to use. Would like some ideas on how to help my clients want to use it rather than. Email me their private info.
Brielle

• Probabilidade de recomendação 8.0 /10

Canopy is the Admin on our team!

Avaliado em 01/06/2021

we have been with Canopy for several years and starting out they did not have the features they do now. They are very responsive with feature requests and we really like the improvements they have made. Canopy is constantly improving the user environment and making a better product.

Vantagens

Canopy allowed us to grow our client base without having to add additional personnel. using canopy tasks to track where the team members are, and to take notes, and hold communications (emails) we can assist each other when answering client questions. This way clients aren't playing phone tag with one individual. The file storage with client portal allows the clients to access their documentation 24/7/365 eliminating the need to email documents back and forth.

Desvantagens

Unfortunately Canopy does not sync with QuickBooks desktop.

Trello e Slack

Razões para escolher o Canopy

Trello really only let us track tasks. we switched for the more robust features and the client portal available in Canopy.

Trello

Razões para mudar para o Canopy

Canopy is specifically geared for accountants and had the features we needed for our Bookkeeping clients
SHELLEY
  • Setor: Escritório de advocacia

• Probabilidade de recomendação 10.0 /10

Great for Tax Resolution practices!

Avaliado em 21/05/2021

Overall Canopy has made our office more streamlined and efficient. It has allowed us to work remotely which has been so important during this past year.

Vantagens

Canopy is very user friendly with many great features. It has allowed our firm to go paperless. Given the fact that the IRS is paper driven, that says a lot! Customer support is excellent for everything from asking for help to utilize functions or suggesting changes!! The Canopy app is excellent as well which allows us to access our client files no matter where we are.

Desvantagens

The cons are minor but I wish I had the option to dress up my "Notes" with highlighting and using different color text to break up the notes.

Margaret

Canopy Tax

Avaliado em 28/07/2022

Very good experience. Tech Support has been very helpful. Our clients like the portal too.

Vantagens

Document sharing, obtaining electronic signatures is simple for us and our clients. Communication tab is also very helpful. This feature keeps communications from clients from getting siloed in individual team member's inbox. Being able to share files with clients and their other trusted advisors is also very helpful. Clients like that they can access data on their computer, their phone or their tablet.

Desvantagens

Each module has a separate cost. However, to use certain features you have to have a specific module even if we aren't using all the module features. Also, access cannot currently be given to 3rd parties on a file by file and contact basis. Currently, if we allow access to a client and their advisor to the portal, all files that have access turned on in the portal allow all these parties to view. It would be nice if we could pick and choose which client/important contact has access to which folder. For example, a client would have access to all their tax returns, estimates, and source documents. Their financial advisor could have access to only the tax returns.

Steven R

"The future is now!"

Avaliado em 27/05/2021

Saves us time with client and task tracking. No more chasing spreadsheets and lists.

Vantagens

Extremely responsive customer service with lots of great customization to help keep your workflow on task. One stop shop to keep track of your workflow while maintaining client data and files. Endless opportunities due to constant upgrades and add-ons. We are currently migrating our entire firm onto the platform and utilizing the client portal feature to exchange information and save on printing, customer requests and storage options. Most impressive is their constant interaction asking how they can improve and getting feedback on new features.

Desvantagens

I really don't have any dislikes, and if something is a little clunky with a layout or usability they are usually upgrading or fixing it. I'm excited to see tax software so I guess I dislike not having it? The tax software would plug another hole and add well to the transcript and tax form resolution features.

Accounting Power, Payroll Relief, UltraTax CS e Ignition

Razões para mudar para o Canopy

Best bang for the buck and most aggresive in creating new content.
John
  • Setor: Serviços jurídicos

• Probabilidade de recomendação 5.0 /10

Canopy is a good option- not sure if they are the best though.

Avaliado em 29/11/2021

On a scale of 1-10, I would say it is a 6.5 or a 7. There are many functions that make this very easy to use, however, as time passes the development team decides to take the ease of use and make it more challenging. Too much focus on making the interface "pretty" and not enough on actual items that make productivity better.

Vantagens

The product is simple to use. However, Canopy likes to make changes to items that do not need any changes. In doing so, they break their own system for several days and the new function isn't worth the hassle. Transcripts are now significantly more complicated and time-consuming to get to.

Desvantagens

The fact that the backend team decides to make changes as to what they think is best for the client. Most of their changes do not have any positive effect on how we operate the practice and only make things more challenging and frustrating to use.

Kimber

• Probabilidade de recomendação 10.0 /10

Canopy - a user-friendly and friendly-user solution

Avaliado em 14/07/2022

For most issues we've run into with Canopy, their internal team was able to fix the error with a very quick turnaround time or assist with producing a report on their end. Wherever they may lack in a feature, they are quick to find a solution if possible.

No system is going to be 100% custom tailored with all the bells and whistles, no matter the price point. Canopy consistently delivers and does not require a lengthy training session to get new users rolling, and when time is money that's a big foot forward.

Vantagens

The Canopy team is amazing at assisting with troubleshooting issues (very quick turnaround time) and are always working on new innovations. The fact that this is not just a set it and forget it system means that Canopy is always working to be a top competitor. They have a few Beta features (namely automation) in the works currently that as an Ops Manager I am thoroughly excited to see roll out. Their staff is always a pleasure to chat with and they hold quarterly 'First Look' webinars to explain what is new with their product and where they are going next - this team is always on the go.

Desvantagens

They have a few drawbacks such as the inability to send text messages (we use a third party system), lack of complex reporting (though easily created on the users end by CSV export and a little Excel wizardry), and a few other minor gruffs, but Canopy does have these on their radar (go check out the forums!) and is working on building these in over time.

Denise

• Probabilidade de recomendação 7.0 /10

Canopy Software

Avaliado em 24/05/2021

Vantagens

We loved the Emails, Task management & calendar are all in one software.

Desvantagens

Canopy DOES NOT have our states so we can't do any returns, We don't like that the clients can't both sign their signature forms if they are married. We also didn't like that In the middle of tax season we had to go back to an old software because the desktop Assistant stopped working on us.

Thaddeus

• Probabilidade de recomendação 8.0 /10

Great Fit for Small Tax Practice!

Avaliado em 06/12/2021

My overall experience with Canopy is good! It fits my practice very well which makes me willing to overlook frustrations. Support has always been responsive and helpful which gives me confidence that, when issues arise, they will be taken care of.

Vantagens

The biggest draw for me is all the different functionalities integrated into one platform. Before I switched to Canopy, I had a secure client portal for file sharing, an e-signature product, and time and billing all in separate apps and platforms. With Canopy, I can do all of that in one workspace and auto-populate client demographic info in each of these areas. Another draw as the IRS transcript and tax resolution tools and templates. Canopy makes it easy to handle tax issues and notices as they come up. I now pull transcripts for most of my clients as a matter of course, and I can quickly and competently respond to notices.

Desvantagens

I would like to see an improved engagement letter function that allows clients to select different packages or services levels. Something along the lines of what Practice Ignition and Karbon have done. That is really the only other platform I would consider adding alongside Canopy and my tax preparation software.

The platform is also sometimes unresponsive and buggy. I have heard of but not yet experienced an extended outage. It seems Canopy has not fully matured as a company and will need to build more reliability into its platform.

Karen

Game changer

Avaliado em 29/12/2021

Vantagens

We luckily chose Canopy as our client portal system pre-pandemic. When the shut down occurred, we were ready to continue servicing our clients during this very termultuous time. AS we move forward from the pandemic, our clients have found they like having a single source to share documents virtually. We as a firm continue to develop our skills in Canopy and now use it for engagement letters, tax documents and any communications with our clients

Desvantagens

Wish there could be better isolation of reminder emails or emails when a client performs as action.

Jetpack Workflow e Ignition

Razões para mudar para o Canopy

Pricing, ease of use and setup
Mary

• Probabilidade de recomendação 9.0 /10

Very user friendly for the price.

Avaliado em 02/12/2021

Great for task management, document management, daily use, easy to learn and use

Vantagens

Easy to use, email/communication integration, Document storage unlimited

Desvantagens

Email search function is less than ideal/doesnt work at all from within a client.
Can't start Word/Excel files from within Canopy
Wish it would also track time for each team member for the week - would make a secondary time and attendance unnecessary.

CANVAS, Gusto, Microsoft Teams e Karbon

Razões para escolher o Canopy

Ease of use, document storage, price

see above
Elisabeth

• Probabilidade de recomendação 9.0 /10

I have had an outstanding experience with Canopy!

Avaliado em 30/05/2018

Client satisfaction, reliable (and hopefully secure!) file-sharing. Potential to have a more efficient tax practice. I feel like i didn't have time to dive in to all feature fully during tax season, but hope to spend some time this Fall tinkering with the software.

Vantagens

Helping me organize the data and correspondence of 200+ tax clients. I got hooked by the fact that it keeps copies of all my email correspondence. But the biggest surprise was all the positive feedback I received from my clients about how easy it was to use, especially the file uploading. I had a previous product that was a complete nightmare. Around 40% of the clients who tried using it were unable to. Working on taxes brings up a lot of anxiety in people so anything I can do to make the experience smoother goes a long way. Having a reliable, user-friendly product to offer my clients feels GREAT!

Desvantagens

Annual subscription fee that will likely increase as the product is continually enhanced. It's also a little hard to organize the accounts of married couples. They file a joint return so in many respects only need one account. But I like to correspond with both spouses and I haven't figured out a way to do that within one account. If I made one spouse's account inactive, it also deactivates their email address so I'm unable to correspond with them.

Antonietta
  • Porte da empresa: 51-200 funcionários

• Probabilidade de recomendação 10.0 /10

We all love the program! It has kept us better organized! It's so easy to use!

Avaliado em 04/04/2018

Canopy is easy and secure program to use to communicate with our clients. The uploading, tasks and engagement feature is used on a daily base in our office. I also, like the fact that we upload files in Canopy and make them visible or non-visible to our clients.

Vantagens

It's safe and secure. Clients are able to upload documents and the documents are saved their portal which as a result, keeps us better organized. The visible and not visible feature for files is a great feature because they are certain documents that the client doesn't need to see but are important for internal use. The task feature keeps us organized and we know exactly the status of each client. We are still learning Canopy capabilities and features.

Desvantagens

Be able to move files from one client portal to another. We numerous clients whom keep uploading to the wrong portal because they have access to their individual and entity. I spend a lot of time downloading each file, saving it to me desktop and then dragging it over to the proper client portal. Not being able to delete a task from the client portal. If two people are in the same client portal and someone deletes and uploads a document we noticed that the client portal gets all discombobulated. Being able to print from the engagement feature conversations or files that were either uploaded from the client.

Mark
  • Setor: Serviços financeiros

• Probabilidade de recomendação 10.0 /10

Outstanding software that keeps getting better and better!

Avaliado em 09/03/2018

It's an excellent client database and portal.

Vantagens

Cool features, outstanding customer service, constantly updating to make it better. I love that I can upload files easily to a secure client portal and we don't have to email files anymore. Clients love that they have 24/7 access to their files. We have saved on paper and toner costs. Having all our client information in one place is incredibly valuable. Engagements keep you focused on what you need to do and makes things less likely to fall through the cracks. The integration with gmail makes tracking/finding email conversations easy! Absolutely can't imagine not having this software.

Desvantagens

There are only a few minor issues that I know Canopy will fix as they learn from their customers. I can make suggestions and I know that they will address these requests in future versions of the software:
1. Mobile Access is not perfect. An app would be great. Some screens just don't show up on my iPhone.
2. Tasks take way too long to create. I think it could be easier to create tasks.
3. Inability to print notes
4. Search engine is limited. It would be better to be able to search for partial names. Currently you need to really know the name of the person you are looking for. I have a business client who I can't search for the name of his business or DBA.